Kyriako’s a talented athlete from a small country Cyprus had dazzled the world sports track and field fans by changing the status of high jump worldwide.
His achievements was such that the whole world did not believe that an athlete born from small country like Cyprus could not only rich and compete the top athletes in high jump but also remain active and the highest range since 2004 until now and became one in the top 10 athletes in the world.
Kyriakos Ioannou was born in Limassol Cyprus 26th July 1984 and his first involvement to sports was at the age of 11 years old when he was selected to represent his school at the local competition of many events of track and field apart from his future event in high jump.
His first approach to high jump was from his teacher in sports who had foreseen his talent and persuaded him to start as a high jumper.
His talent appealed during the Olympic games 2004 and continues with:
- 2005 Gold metal Mediterranean Games in Almeria Spain
- 2006 Bronze metal Commonwealth Games in Melbourne Australia
- 2007 Bronze metal World Championship in Osaka Japan
- 2008 Bronze metal World Indoor Championship in Valencia Spain
- 2009 Silver metal European Indoor Championship in Torino Italy
- 2009 Gold metal Mediterranean Games in Pescara Italy
- 2009 Silver metal World Championship Berlin Germany
- 2010 4th World Indoor Championship Doha Qatar
- 2011 first and second place in Diamond league competitions Oslo Norway, Doha Qatar
- 2012 finalist in Olympic Games London England
- 2014 Silver Medal Commonwealth Games in Glasgow Scotland